[code][/code]

Getting into overclocking.... a bit more...

Discuss overclocking and share your benchmark results...
Phill
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Getting into overclocking.... a bit more...

Post #1 by Phill » Tue Sep 22, 2015 6:35 pm

Hi guys

I'm curiously looking into getting a bit more into benching and was wondering if someone or anyone could advice what would be best to try..

I'm looking at a slightly older platform to start on, maybe with some phase or cascade action at some point to get me used to insulating and so on as at the moment a lot of my results are on water and sometimes I wish I had that bit more (and I'm sure I'd get that when on phase/cascade and want further!!) but I was wondering what would be a good solid platform to try? I was thinking about a Z77 so I could use both 25/2600k and 35/3770k CPUs as I've never tested any of those :)

I'm looking at 2500k/2600k or possibly a 3570k/3770k to try and get to grips with.. I was just wondering if anyone has some advice as to what would be best to try?? I've been getting into testing a bit more since I have been testing my 920's under water and I'm hoping to get a LN2 session going with Brend so I can try out one of my setups there..

Can anyone tempt me with anything??

nickolp1974
Officer Cadet
Officer Cadet

Re: Getting into overclocking.... a bit more...

Post #2 by nickolp1974 » Tue Sep 22, 2015 6:47 pm

A good platform to try would be 775, although a good board aint cheap the cpu's are. I'd get a X48 rampage extreme paint the board thick with LET to nigh on guarantee no moisture. A decent phase cooler will nearly max most 775 cpu's and its a lot of fun tbh, when your overcclocking a £5 cpu you can afford to go a bit wild with the volts!! If interested in this platform hit obscure paradise up for advice!

Phill
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Post #3 by Phill » Tue Sep 22, 2015 7:54 pm

775 you say?? Well nick I have got two Asus Rampage 775 boards here :D

Would the 1155 platform cost to much to get into Nick or is it not worth it? Whereabouts would be a good place to start looking at phase/cascade coolers?

TheMadDutchDude
Corporal
Corporal

Post #4 by TheMadDutchDude » Tue Sep 22, 2015 8:18 pm

1155 isn't worth buying into, Phill. 775 would be far, far more fun and it'll net you far more points too.

Like Nick said, the CPUs are dirt cheap and therefore you can go mad with volts.

E8400s are something silly like £5 a pop now. You can afford to kill a few of them.

nickolp1974
Officer Cadet
Officer Cadet

Post #5 by nickolp1974 » Tue Sep 22, 2015 8:49 pm

If you have access to the members section here check out 8packs phase coolers viewtopic.php?f=34&t=1929
Even though the 1155 platform is very good the point per pound ratio is very low comapared to 775, X58 would also be a good choice but the good boards cost a bomb and the high end chips aint that cheap.
I use 775 as my fill in platform, when i havn't got anything decent to play with and funds are low i always turn to it as good points can be had at little cost.

Phill
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Post #6 by Phill » Tue Sep 22, 2015 11:19 pm

Well sounds like my mind has been made up!! I have both 775 and X58 boards here, my 920's are very solid performers as I've managed a few more results with them but sadly I need access to better cooling to get them any further.One of my 920's has managed 5.1Ghz around 1.45vcore, which I hope is pretty good under a phase unit.. I've been wanting and waiting till I could have some help with someone to push it further..

I suppose I could always try using the X5650's out of my SR2 and see if I can buy some replacements for not too much cash and bench those as well :D Well, pipe dreams!!

With regards to the phase unit or cascade, would there be a better one to try first or would it be best to go nuts and just grab a cascade to start with? I take it there's a lot more insulation required for a cascade than a phase unit because of the difference in temps?

Thanks very much guys for the replies :D

Brend, I'm going to try and bring a few bits over for our LN2 session :D

String
Private
Private

Post #7 by String » Thu Sep 24, 2015 11:49 am

I'm interested in this too.

What's the best CPU to use on 775? Also, where do you source this stuff? Ebay?

Surely not Ebay... :evil:

nickolp1974
Officer Cadet
Officer Cadet

Post #8 by nickolp1974 » Thu Sep 24, 2015 12:26 pm

Insulation wise its pretty much the same as LN2 although i use less toweling. The trouble with going sub zero is you always want it colder! Phase is a good way to start and is a good back up when you cant always get LN2, so my advice is get the best you can get/afford.

As for 775 cpu's, i have had all mine off the bay and tbh i have been very lucky with a few of them :D i only bought around 15 cpu's and 1 of those was a 50 pointer under nitro and a few others were also pretty good. In contrast obscure paradox has binned hundreds
When choosing cpu's for either 775 or 1366 i just go to the hardware section on hwbot, select which platform and write down all the ones which can potentionally score the most points then head to the bay and get searching.with some of the the more popular ones such as q6600, e8400 etc it could be worth searching forums for good batch numbers and then once you have those numbers go back to the bay and look at the picture of a given chip for that batch, this generally only works on private sellers as companys just use a libray image.

kimandsally
Corporal
Corporal

Post #9 by kimandsally » Thu Sep 24, 2015 12:56 pm

Some great advice there Nick nicely done mate.

ObscureParadox
Corporal
Corporal

Post #10 by ObscureParadox » Thu Sep 24, 2015 3:10 pm

nickolp1974 wrote:In contrast obscure paradox has binned hundreds

Yup :(

kimandsally
Corporal
Corporal

Post #11 by kimandsally » Thu Sep 24, 2015 4:26 pm

ObscureParadox wrote:
Yup :(

Is that hundreds in the bin LOL :mrgreen:

ObscureParadox
Corporal
Corporal

Post #12 by ObscureParadox » Thu Sep 24, 2015 6:03 pm

kimandsally wrote:
Is that hundreds in the bin LOL :mrgreen:

I've been through about 300 E2140 and E2160s and had no luck with anything really special yet, got a decent E2140 which needs some LN2 treament and that's about it.

Got 50 more E2160s at home to still go through.

kimandsally
Corporal
Corporal

Post #13 by kimandsally » Thu Sep 24, 2015 7:39 pm

ObscureParadox wrote:
I've been through about 300 E2140 and E2160s and had no luck with anything really special yet, got a decent E2140 which needs some LN2 treament and that's about it.

Got 50 more E2160s at home to still go through.

That's dedication lets hope you get something great out of the last 50, how much are you paying for them?

Bones
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Post #14 by Bones » Fri Sep 25, 2015 5:02 am

TheMadDutchDude wrote:1155 isn't worth buying into, Phill. 775 would be far, far more fun and it'll net you far more points too.

Like Nick said, the CPUs are dirt cheap and therefore you can go mad with volts.

E8400s are something silly like £5 a pop now. You can afford to kill a few of them.

Yes, learning how it all works should be done with an older setup so the cost of playing doesn't kill the fun of doing it.
If you go at it long enough you will kill something so expect that to happen esp while learning. The older setups are great for getting a handle on what does what in the BIOS as an example and Socket 775 is a good place to start. Another good thing about 775 is depending on the exact board and chips you use, it's possible to run either DDR2 or DDR3 with this socket type so finding some good RAM shoudn't be too difficult or expensive.

Other sockets that would be good for learning while also being cheap would be socket 478 for Intels and for AMD setups, sockets 754, 939, AM2 and AM2+ are fairly cheap with even AM3 stuff getting easier to find and buy. For learning AMD I'd suggest socket 939 as a good starting point with it being not too expensive yet fun to hammer on.
Only real drawback I can think of is 939 uses DDR but even that type of RAM is still easy to find and not too bad to get your hands on related to cost.
Biggest thing though is simple - Keep it fun. :roll:

Phill
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Post #15 by Phill » Fri Sep 25, 2015 11:47 am

Thanks for the awesome replies guys :)

I was going to mention AMD for a bit of benching as my socket A CPU's are still sat here not doing much so I did wonder whether or not it might have been worth even practicing on those! I have my DFI LanParty 939 board here as well, so I can always give that a go, but I've only got a single CPU for it at the moment (I think!!)

I have I think a few 775 CPUs here and depending on if my Gigabyte board works I could always use that, as I don't think they used to be that bad an overclocker :) Certainly won't mind if I use it under the cold or something..

If ObscureParadox doesn't mind me buying a few of his 775 CPU's then I'm all for it :D I suppose I can always test under water first and then get the phase/cascade rocking on them afterwards?? How do you guys tend to do your testing?

String
Private
Private

Post #16 by String » Fri Sep 25, 2015 12:12 pm

Phill, do you have any interest in selling one of your Rampage 775 boards?

Phill
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Post #17 by Phill » Fri Sep 25, 2015 12:39 pm

No :) If I'm going to be trying to bench with 775, then I will mostly likely keep both and then if anything happens to the one I use for testing, I'll always have a spare as I have them in systems at the moment! They'll be taken apart when I get some time for benching with :) I think there was however one for sale in the HWbot forums, it might be worth keeping an eye to them on there :)

String
Private
Private

Post #18 by String » Fri Sep 25, 2015 12:47 pm

OK, enjoy the benching!

ObscureParadox
Corporal
Corporal

Post #19 by ObscureParadox » Sat Sep 26, 2015 12:34 am

Phill wrote:Thanks for the awesome replies guys :)

I was going to mention AMD for a bit of benching as my socket A CPU's are still sat here not doing much so I did wonder whether or not it might have been worth even practicing on those! I have my DFI LanParty 939 board here as well, so I can always give that a go, but I've only got a single CPU for it at the moment (I think!!)

I have I think a few 775 CPUs here and depending on if my Gigabyte board works I could always use that, as I don't think they used to be that bad an overclocker :) Certainly won't mind if I use it under the cold or something..

If ObscureParadox doesn't mind me buying a few of his 775 CPU's then I'm all for it :D I suppose I can always test under water first and then get the phase/cascade rocking on them afterwards?? How do you guys tend to do your testing?

I don't have anything that's worth selling to you at the moment, I mean there is no point in me selling you my junk rejects anyway.

If I do find something though I'll let you know :)

Bones
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Post #20 by Bones » Sat Sep 26, 2015 1:33 am

Phill wrote:Thanks for the awesome replies guys :)

Yes, Socket A is an excellent socket to run and you can do well with the right hardware, that's the socket I learned with and what I learned with it I carried over to the newer stuff. Find a LanParty NF2 Ultra B (Hard and expensive to find), Abit NF7/NF7-S ver 2.0, Abit AN7 or even an Asus A7N8X Deluxe 2.0, those are all good for clocking an A with. The best would be the Barton cored mobile chips (XP-M's) or some of the Thoroughbred A's with as late of a date as you can find. Here's where you can find info on what does best with either chip type: https://www.classicplatforms.com/~class ... 200&t=2009 for T-Breds and https://www.classicplatforms.com/~class ... 200&t=2005 for Barton cored chips.

The DFI LanParty NF4 series is what you want with 939 regardless of the actual model to start with. The AMD chipset based LanParty boards aren't as good but the CFX3200 is actually a decent board, just not the same as a NF4 chipped board overall and you'll do best with those and I have to assume yours is a NF4 chipped board - I hope it is.

As for CPUs, doesn't matter too much about the CPU when learning, just use what you have and go from there.
I can tell you the best of the bunch would be chips based on the Denmark (Opteron)/Toledo (Athlon X2) for dual core and the San Diego/Venus (Opteron) core for single cored chips. Try and get one if buying it with either the LCBBE, LCB9E or LCBQE stepping with a date of 0633 or later for non- FX chips, those are the best ones to find for having a decent to good chance of getting a good one. ;)
The single cored Opteron/Venus chips have a different stepping than what's mentioned, try and get one with as late of a date as you can find for the best possibility of getting a good one.

Venice chips are also good but typically fall short of the previous mentioned ones BUT there are some Venice chips that will absolutely fly!
Not sure about steppings with those but again, it's date is a big factor.

For the FX chips, one with BN at the end of the model name would be San Diego based and best with the other being a Clawhammer, not so good overall - Those run hot and don't clock too well.

Dual cored FX chips are based on the Toledo core but know those will tend to run hot compared to the single cored FX chips.
You already have a good board to start with, go for it!

Phill
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Post #21 by Phill » Sat Sep 26, 2015 8:07 am

Looks like I might need to find another Abit board and another DFI board then!! :D I'll have to check what it is but it's certainly given me good results in the past and I think I have gained a few cups with the DFI board :) The Abit board is just one of those all time great boards.. I miss Abit boards.. In their socket A days, imo, they where king!!

I think I'll be saving up for my pump/res combo sooner than I expected!! With Winter coming up, might be the best time to get benching :D And having a phase unit as well to help me along!! :D

Thanks for the excellent help and advice :) ObscureParadox, even if you have a few doggie CPU's there, I wouldn't mind getting time to test with them just to see and to make sure I'm at least doing it right!! I'll test both of the Rampage Extreme boards here just to make sure I get the better one (if there is a difference) for benching with..
Also, I'm unsure if anyone has heard or seen or had a Asrock board, 775Dual-VSTA? I have a few AGP cards here that might need a bit of a hammering as well, would one of these be worth it? I wouldn't mind giving AMD CPU's a go if there's any out there that might be worth a few points and would help me climb up the ranks a little..

There's a few HWbot achivements I'd like to be able to clear off, so if there's anything that I could try that would be a good laugh and cheap to do, I'd be willing to at least consider it!

Bones
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Post #22 by Bones » Sat Sep 26, 2015 11:01 am

Phill wrote:Looks like I might need to find another Abit board and another DFI board then!! :D I'll have to check what it is but it's certainly given me good results in the past and I think I have gained a few cups with the DFI board :) The Abit board is just one of those all time great boards.. I miss Abit boards.. In their socket A days, imo, they where king!!

Well lookie what I found and it's somewhere in your part of the world too.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/DFI-Lan-Party-U ... 4af10425fd

The price might be a little high but it is at least a SLI-D model with a chip and some sticks too. If it has all 8 SATA ports on the board it's an SLI-DR and that would be great. Can't tell if it has the extra ports or not with the chipset cooler in the way of viewing them but aside from that, could be a good deal.

Phill
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Post #23 by Phill » Sat Sep 26, 2015 4:06 pm

I was wondering if another socket for AMD might be another idea to try as well? It seems that there are loads of AM2/AM2+ CPUs around for under a tenner, might they be worth a look in too? Found this one here for 939 -

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/AMD-Athlon-64 ... 1410097279

http://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/CPUs-Processo ... M2&_sop=15

http://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/CPUs-Processo ... 2B&_sop=15

I saw this and was a little tempted lol

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/i5-2500k/1618 ... 1832181285

Bit of testing here http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Job-Lot-10-x- ... 3ab18f7308

What about this one?

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/DFI-Lanparty- ... 2ee67b1347

I can't make out if its just the box or the whole lot??

String
Private
Private

Post #24 by String » Sat Sep 26, 2015 5:13 pm

Bones wrote:
Well lookie what I found and it's somewhere in your part of the world too.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/DFI-Lan-Party-U ... 4af10425fd

The price might be a little high but it is at least a SLI-D model with a chip and some sticks too. If it has all 8 SATA ports on the board it's an SLI-DR and that would be great. Can't tell if it has the extra ports or not with the chipset cooler in the way of viewing them but aside from that, could be a good deal.

How could these be cooled under water, would modern CPU blocks fit?

Phill
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Post #25 by Phill » Sat Sep 26, 2015 5:41 pm

I have a D Tek V1 block that fits both Intel and AMD (different cover on the top of the block..) but yes I'm guessing any new or new ish CPU block would be fine with water cooling :) It's normally how I do my pre bench testing :)

Return to “Overclocking & Benchmarking”