[code][/code]

Getting into overclocking.... a bit more...

Discuss overclocking and share your benchmark results...
Bones
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Re: Getting into overclocking.... a bit more...

Post #26 by Bones » Sat Sep 26, 2015 11:19 pm

String wrote:How could these be cooled under water, would modern CPU blocks fit?

As long as the holes are there for the board's pattern I don't see why it coudn't be used.
The block I run has the pattern for anything AMD from Socket 754 to present - The other top for it fits either 775 or 1366, had to modify it a little for Socket 1155 but no biggie to do.

I looked at the board in the box and it's a CFX3200, one of the AMD chipped boards. As I said earlier it's not a bad board at all but you'll do better with a NF4 chipped board in the overall. Once good thing about it is it's capable of pushing chips hard like the NF4 based boards can do but normally you won't be able to go as high on the bus, that being a part of tweaking 939 chips. If you do get a chip with a high enough multiplier set then it's OK - Definitely not too good for chips limited to 9X as a max multiplier.

Phill
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Post #27 by Phill » Sun Sep 27, 2015 1:43 pm

I'll see if I can get my DFI fired up and see what it is.. I have honestly no idea!! I thought I might have put a screenie up on Hwbot for a bench results but sadly not!!

I'll get it booted up this afternoon :D

String
Private
Private

Post #28 by String » Sun Sep 27, 2015 1:48 pm

Bones wrote:
Well lookie what I found and it's somewhere in your part of the world too.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/DFI-Lan-Party-U ... 4af10425fd

The price might be a little high but it is at least a SLI-D model with a chip and some sticks too. If it has all 8 SATA ports on the board it's an SLI-DR and that would be great. Can't tell if it has the extra ports or not with the chipset cooler in the way of viewing them but aside from that, could be a good deal.

I just picked this up. Got him to knock a tenner off and include some RAM so I'm reasonably happy at that, it's just a little punt as they say.

Should be fun getting Old Skool!

Phill
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Post #29 by Phill » Sun Sep 27, 2015 2:35 pm

I look forward to seeing how you get on :D

Bones
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Post #30 by Bones » Sun Sep 27, 2015 4:03 pm

Phill wrote:I'll see if I can get my DFI fired up and see what it is.. I have honestly no idea!! I thought I might have put a screenie up on Hwbot for a bench results but sadly not!!

I'll get it booted up this afternoon :D

Post a pic of it and I can tell you exactly what it is. ;)

Phill
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Post #31 by Phill » Mon Sep 28, 2015 1:02 am

Well I managed to find an old one I had uploaded.. Lets hope this works!!

https://imageshack.com/i/f6w0ooj

I think I might have to upload it to another place as Imageshack seems to have a changed a bit since I last logged in!! Hopefully the link below will work ok :)

Bones
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Post #32 by Bones » Mon Sep 28, 2015 4:04 am

Rant: Wish folks would just stop using imageshack - Loaded to the gills with malware and spyware and that's been known to be true for years.
Rant over. :lol:

However from what I can see it's a standard Ultra D and I have 3 of those - Good board for no frills OC'ing the crap out of a 939. 8-)
Some of my best runs have been done on one of those and it's certainly a desireable board vs other makes.

Take care of it and you'll be in good shape. ;)

EDIT:

Here's how to tell what's what amongst the 939 socket LanParty boards.

To identify it as a D series board in itself is easy - The RAM slots are above the CPU and are positioned horizontally.

If it were an Expert/Venus variant it would have the RAM slots to the side of the CPU slot running vertically. Note that all AMD chipped 939 LanParty boards have their RAM slots in this same configuration too.
SLI is enabled with these boards if it's an Expert/Venus board, Crossfire is enabled with the two AMD variants ( RDX200 and CFX 3200).
These models all have the extra SATA ports along the bottom.

Here's the difference in these variants of the D series.
To clarify, the D series has three variants, each being easy to identify visually from the others.

Ultra D: No SLI or RAID, does not have the SLI label at the top of the board nor does it have the extra SATA ports along the bottom right of the board.
SLI-D: Has the SLI label at the top but lacks the extra SATA ports.
SLI-DR: Has both, the SLI label and extra SATA ports.

Note that an Ultra D can be modified easily to have SLI, it's just a pencil mod done on the chipset itself and by doing it you'll enable the SLI function it's capable of.
You can google this mod and it will tell you how it's done if you really want to try it.

Phill
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Post #33 by Phill » Mon Sep 28, 2015 4:38 pm

I used to use Imageshack years ago, I've not logged into it for ages! I think with all the hardware here, I should start hosting my pics from home!!

Well if I can find another DFI board like mine I will be very happy just in case!! I thought I had another Abit NF7-S here, but sadly not!

Thank you very much for the information, I'll never remember it, but I can always revisit it!!
I'm also toying with the idea of try AM2/AM2+/AM3.. I've been told that one of these boards are the way to go - http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/ASUS-Crosshai ... 4af0ccaa63

Would you say to go for it? I think there might be some points in AMD's offerings, so I'll give them a go! I need to find my water block and such to make sure I half a chance of cooling them! Next trouble is a pump then!! :lol:

Thanks for all the help Bones, it's been very much appreciated and awesome!! :D

Bones
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Post #34 by Bones » Mon Sep 28, 2015 6:39 pm

Phill wrote:I used to use Imageshack years ago, I've not logged into it for ages! I think with all the hardware here, I should start hosting my pics from home!!

Well if I can find another DFI board like mine I will be very happy just in case!! I thought I had another Abit NF7-S here, but sadly not!

Thank you very much for the information, I'll never remember it, but I can always revisit it!!
I'm also toying with the idea of try AM2/AM2+/AM3.. I've been told that one of these boards are the way to go - http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/ASUS-Crosshai ... 4af0ccaa63

Would you say to go for it? I think there might be some points in AMD's offerings, so I'll give them a go! I need to find my water block and such to make sure I half a chance of cooling them! Next trouble is a pump then!! :lol:

Thanks for all the help Bones, it's been very much appreciated and awesome!! :D

No prob with the help. ;)

Shouldn't be too hard to find another LanParty, I see them regularly on fleabay and they're not too expensive unless it's an Expert/Venus - Those typically will run for much more than the others do and for good reason, esp the Venus variant.

First off note that AM3/AM3+ boards normally will not run an AM2/AM2+ chip, there's very few that will period and most of those aren't very good for OC"ing since those are more or less hybrids based on being able to run DDR2 for AM2/AM2+ chips and DDR3 for AM3/AM3+ chips. I have one of those and it's more or less eh.... why even bother? :?

As for AM3/AM3+, the board you linked is the older version of the Crosshair V, it's capable of unlocking cores with an AM3 chip if the chip will unlock at all.

However beware, if it's one of the first few made it could have problems. Asus was having issues with the first few batches made and it was an RMA nightmare for them.
The one I have like it is one of the later batches.... Or maybe I just got lucky since it's been rock-solid since I received it via RMA from getting one of those from a early batch, it going wonky after 3 weeks from being new and just having to do it to get a working board. Also be aware it doesn't seem to support properly some of the more recent AM3+ chips, mainly those based on the Vishera core, mine doesn't want to run my 8320 without losing dual channel RAM operation for some reason inspite of doing a BIOS update and there have been some Vishera CPU issues with the older versions period.
Not everyone has had issues with these and Vishera chips but the possibilty exists.

The later version, namely a Crosshair V-Z is good but cannot unlock cores like it's older sibling can do - However it does fully support all AM3+ chips including the 9xxx series but know you may have to do a BIOS update. So far the CHV-Z I have will run anything I've set into it including my 9590 without a problem.

To sum it up -
Crosshair V:
Unlocks hidden AM3 chip cores if present and unlockable -
Is a strong OC'ing board but could be risky to get regarding possible problems with the board itself -
May have issues with some of the latest AM3+ chips, BIOS updates may or may not fix them.

Crosshair V-Z:
No real issues that stands out overall and is also a strong OC'er -
Supports all AM3+ chips but may have to have it's BIOS updated to run all of them -
Lacks the ability to unlock cores in AM3 chips.

What you get is ultimately up to you. :roll:

Phill
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Post #35 by Phill » Mon Sep 28, 2015 9:52 pm

So what would you suggest in doing if I was to go towards AMD for benching a bit more? Would you suggest using just the AM3 boards or would I be better off trying an AM2 board instead? The Crosshair board listing has ended so I won't be getting that one but I'm just interested in finding out what would be best to do. Another 939 board or something a little newer or something else altogether? I had fun overclocking my FM1 chip, but I think I might have swapped the chips to a not so good one, cos I can't overclock it like I used too :lol:

Bones
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Post #36 by Bones » Tue Sep 29, 2015 2:41 am

Phill wrote:So what would you suggest in doing if I was to go towards AMD for benching a bit more? Would you suggest using just the AM3 boards or would I be better off trying an AM2 board instead? The Crosshair board listing has ended so I won't be getting that one but I'm just interested in finding out what would be best to do. Another 939 board or something a little newer or something else altogether? I had fun overclocking my FM1 chip, but I think I might have swapped the chips to a not so good one, cos I can't overclock it like I used too :lol:

Since you already have a good 939 board I would go for an AM3+ board like the Crosshair V you were looking at.

However for reliability sakes I'd either get the Crosshair V-Z or a Sabertooth 2.0, both are great boards with plenty of OC'ing potential - Best part is you can run either AM3+ or AM3 chips in them.

Gigabyte makes a good board and the GA-990FXA-UD3 is a good choice. The GA-990FXA-UD5 or the GA-990FXA-UD5 R5 would be good choices too, however the GA-990FXA-UD7 isn't one I'd suggest, too expensive and some had issues like the early CHV's had.
I'll admit even a few of the UD5's had problems but for some reason they didn't have nearly a many issues as the UD7's had or so it seems.

ATM for AM3+ Asus is the best followed by Gigabyte with ASRock being third.
ASRock boards are OK but tend to have issues and their customer service has earned a bad rep, I'd go with ASRock only if the first two are unavailable period.

Stay away from MSI, asking for problems with one of those and that's based on recent history with these dying of MOSFET failure due to a weak VRM phase setup. Perhaps the latest FX 990 boards are OK but the FX 790 and 890 boards are definitely weak there.

If you want to try AM2 go for it but be sure it's an AM2+ board, not a standard AM2 board.

Phill
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Post #37 by Phill » Sun Oct 04, 2015 3:27 pm

Well since beginning testing, for some reason, I can't get the GPU cards to work in the top slot of the board, but it works fine in the second slot but I think it has a slight performance drop being in the second slot. I am looking out for another board as I would really like to get testing and I have found about 4 or 5 CPUs that I can test and play around with.

So you'd recommend the Crosshair V-Z over anything else? I would also like to try AM2/+ as CPUs seem cheap and I have a few DDR2 kits here, which I would like to use if possible! In the AMD thread I posted up, I have been offered an FX990 Sabertooth board, CPU and ram.. Would that be a good start?

Many thanks for the help :) If you do see a DFI 939 board on your travels, please let me know!! :D

Bones
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Post #38 by Bones » Mon Oct 05, 2015 5:51 am

Phill wrote:Well since beginning testing, for some reason, I can't get the GPU cards to work in the top slot of the board, but it works fine in the second slot but I think it has a slight performance drop being in the second slot. I am looking out for another board as I would really like to get testing and I have found about 4 or 5 CPUs that I can test and play around with.

So you'd recommend the Crosshair V-Z over anything else? I would also like to try AM2/+ as CPUs seem cheap and I have a few DDR2 kits here, which I would like to use if possible! In the AMD thread I posted up, I have been offered an FX990 Sabertooth board, CPU and ram.. Would that be a good start?

Many thanks for the help :) If you do see a DFI 939 board on your travels, please let me know!! :D

The best for AM3+ is a Crosshair V-Z period but a Sabertooth 2.0 is right behind it in terms of what's best - If the deal is good enough I'd go for the Sabertooth and not worry about it.
Otherwise I'd go for the CHV-Z.

Yes, get an AM2+ board, not a regular AM2 board since the range of CPUs they support is broader and do support all the chips a regular AM2 does.
If I happen to spot a good 939 I'll let you know. ;)

Phill
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Post #39 by Phill » Mon Oct 05, 2015 8:05 am

Are there many AM2+ boards to look at or just one or two? If I know what to look for, I will keep my eyes open :)

I think I am going to be getting into AMD with the cost of their CPU's compared to Intel's second hand :) Some seem to be more reasonably priced so if I can make a few points, I'll be happy :D

Thank you so much for the help so far :D

TheMadDutchDude
Corporal
Corporal

Post #40 by TheMadDutchDude » Tue Oct 06, 2015 3:49 am

The only issue with the Crosshair V Formula-Z is that it can't unlock older Thuban chips. Otherwise, it's a wicked board!

Bones
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Post #41 by Bones » Tue Oct 06, 2015 5:18 am

TheMadDutchDude wrote:The only issue with the Crosshair V Formula-Z is that it can't unlock older Thuban chips. Otherwise, it's a wicked board!

Actually it can't unlock any chips period like it's older sibling can but it's tops for AM3+ regardless.

@ Phill - As an example one to check out would be the Asus M4A79T Deluxe, has the 790FX chipset and runs DDR2.
The M3A79T Deluxe although good isn't all that and the M4A is just better.

The DFI lineup is good to such as this one: http://www.ebay.com/itm/DFI-Lanparty-DK ... 1a06673abd but know it's an AM2 only board, AM2+ chips will not work in it. As said earlier pickup a board that's for AM2+, not AM2 for the best and widest range of useability with any AM2/AM2+ chips. Also know a few AM3 chips will run in these too, noteably the Sempron series AM3's will.

TheMadDutchDude
Corporal
Corporal

Post #42 by TheMadDutchDude » Tue Oct 06, 2015 6:26 am

Ah yes, Bones, I am aware of that, sir. It was just an example. Thanks for adding the detail, though. :D

Phill
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Post #43 by Phill » Wed Oct 07, 2015 2:53 pm

Many thanks for all this help :D

I've been away from my general PC for a few days as I've been benching my little heart out and learning lol Also getting frustrated with my DFI board as for some reason when testing in PC Mark 05, my transparent windows score is worse than my laptop!! I know I'm using a Nvidia card (580 GTX, for some reason my 3870 X2 and my 5970 won't work in the board and sadly my other ATI/AMD cards have water blocks on them and I've no pump/res!!) but my score is awful!! I'm lucky if I get past 160 on that test but I'm wondering if its because I have my 5405 Adaptec card plugged in as well.. I've tried swapping the cards around, so 5405 in top slot, 580 in bottom and vise versa and it makes no difference...

Am I missing something so simple or is something wrong?? I've tried overclocking the CPU as well but that doesn't help matters as I just get a 10 to 15 score increase.....

I will definitely have a look at the AM2+ boards then, if I can find both, it'll be good but hopefully they won't cost much!! I'm trying to do this on a very small budget!! :lol:

ObscureParadox
Corporal
Corporal

Post #44 by ObscureParadox » Wed Oct 07, 2015 3:55 pm

I wouldn't waste too much time on PCMark, I wouldn't be surprised to see the points for it removed very soon, the bench just had too many flaws. But to help you a bit, transparent windows is best on win 7 with aero enabled, ati cards are much much better too so try use one if you can. Crossfire/Sli doesn't work on it anyway so a single GPU card like a 280X or 5870 is best.

Phill
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Post #45 by Phill » Wed Oct 07, 2015 11:18 pm

Thanks Lewis :) I found out what my problem was (complete idiot!!) I hadn't done the Windows score and Aero wasn't being enabled.. So the score was complete pooh.. Now I have it back up and working properly (until I put back in the Adaptec card and the two SSD's with Windows 7 installed) I will start the more fun bit!! :D

I do have a 5870 but with a water block on there I'm without a pump/res, so I'm hoping to get one soon.. I think I need to treat myself to something after the past few weeks of hell..... Are the 290X's a good way to go for the tests? I've had 5 or so 280X's and I'm sick of them.. I've had more problems with them you could imagine so I'm steering clear!! 290X with a water block, now there's something if possible I'd be interested in :D

Next up would be the AM2+ and the AM3+ boards and then some CPU's for testing with.. I'm actually looking forward to it, but I would like to learn the tweaks so I can get the most from the hardware rather than just turning up the power and not getting the most I can from it.... Bones has given some great advice, so I'm very interested in taking some of his thoughts and making them happen :)

@ Bones - I did a search on the beloved eBay and I found these for sale http://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/Motherboards- ... _PrefLoc=1 - Is there any that you'd prefer? If I can find a Crosshair Formula Z board I will try and get it :)

Bones
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Post #46 by Bones » Thu Oct 08, 2015 3:52 am

Phill wrote:Thanks Lewis :) I found out what my problem was (complete idiot!!) I hadn't done the Windows score and Aero wasn't being enabled.. So the score was complete pooh.. Now I have it back up and working properly (until I put back in the Adaptec card and the two SSD's with Windows 7 installed) I will start the more fun bit!! :D

I do have a 5870 but with a water block on there I'm without a pump/res, so I'm hoping to get one soon.. I think I need to treat myself to something after the past few weeks of hell..... Are the 290X's a good way to go for the tests? I've had 5 or so 280X's and I'm sick of them.. I've had more problems with them you could imagine so I'm steering clear!! 290X with a water block, now there's something if possible I'd be interested in :D

Next up would be the AM2+ and the AM3+ boards and then some CPU's for testing with.. I'm actually looking forward to it, but I would like to learn the tweaks so I can get the most from the hardware rather than just turning up the power and not getting the most I can from it.... Bones has given some great advice, so I'm very interested in taking some of his thoughts and making them happen :)

@ Bones - I did a search on the beloved eBay and I found these for sale http://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/Motherboards- ... _PrefLoc=1 - Is there any that you'd prefer? If I can find a Crosshair Formula Z board I will try and get it :)

Don't be completely sold on the M4A series - I was using that model as an example and while it is good I believe there are even better choices for AM2+.
The LP DK 790FXB-M2RS (DFI) is probrably one of the best choices for AM2+ period - In fact many of the top scores were done with that very board model. I'd look around and do some comparing before settling on what board to run for AM2+ but the DFI looks like what I would choose ATM.

Phill
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Post #47 by Phill » Thu Oct 08, 2015 8:52 pm

I'll see whatever comes up :) I'm in no rush as I have a few 939 chips to overclock and test and I'm trying to get the hang of overclocking them again :) I like the challenge but I would like to know how is best to make my results more efficient with the same CPU speed than just keep adding the volts and getting a few Mhz faster when a decently tuned OS or setup, might gain more than with the increase in MHz :)

String
Private
Private

Post #48 by String » Thu Oct 08, 2015 8:59 pm

I've got the LanParty all ready to rock... But I don't have a GPU that fits in it. :?

Any suggestions on a GPU to pair with this, purely for video output? Also, what minimum PSU would you suggest for pounding the CPU only?

I've never worked with one of these bad boys...

Phill
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Post #49 by Phill » Fri Oct 09, 2015 10:54 pm

In what way wont fit?? Can't you not use the second slot?

I'm using a AX1200 with mine at the moment, I thought having the stable power delivery was a good call for the overclocking of the CPU.... I'm having issues trying to remember how to overclock it!! :lol:

String
Private
Private

Post #50 by String » Fri Oct 09, 2015 11:14 pm

Phill wrote:In what way wont fit?? Can't you not use the second slot?

I'm using a AX1200 with mine at the moment, I thought having the stable power delivery was a good call for the overclocking of the CPU.... I'm having issues trying to remember how to overclock it!! :lol:

Too long, it's clashing with SATA ports. I've picked up a GTX555.

I think a 1200w must surely be overkill for overclocking just the CPU, Phill? :o

Return to “Overclocking & Benchmarking”