[code][/code]

Getting into overclocking.... a bit more...

Discuss overclocking and share your benchmark results...
Bones
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Re: Getting into overclocking.... a bit more...

Post #51 by Bones » Sat Oct 10, 2015 5:43 am

A good quality 750W should be more than enough to do it and power all the rest.

I picked up one of these ( http://www.ebay.com/itm/Dell-NVIDIA-GeF ... 35eee843c8 ) sometime ago and it's apparently from a Dell setup. Doesn't seem to mind at all it's no longer in one and works just fine plus it's smaller size has helped to solve some clearance issues similar to yours.
Find one like it or similar and it should work.

String
Private
Private

Post #52 by String » Sat Oct 10, 2015 8:56 am

Cheers, Bones.

Would the GTX555 run on this set up with a Corsair HX850, or should I pick up one of the lower powered cards like you posted there?

Bones
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Post #53 by Bones » Sun Oct 11, 2015 8:51 am

I'd at first go with something small and cheap so you won't have alot in it. Once you see how it fits with all else then you'll more or less know what to get with it. The aftermarket chipset cooler on my DFI's mostly interferes with cards being set into the slot and I have to use one of the lower slots for it to work so expect that.
A low profile chipset cooler similar to the stock unit would be best and would not interfere so much if at all.

Phill
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Post #54 by Phill » Sun Oct 11, 2015 3:35 pm

I'm cheating there as I have plugged in my Adaptec 5405 and I'm using that for my SSDs for testing :D Stupid 580 fits right over them lol

Oh it's complete overkill, but I don't have anything else spare at the moment and besides, good PSU always helps with a stable overclock and helps push it further :D I'll try and get a pic or two up of my setup :D I hope to be putting water cooling on it very soon.. The air cooler is really annoying the hell out of me !! :lol:

Phill
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Post #55 by Phill » Tue Oct 13, 2015 11:49 pm

With a bit of air cooling at the moment, I have a water loop that I'm ready to put together and get testing again :)

I'm in need of some help with some of the benchmarks because I'm not quite as efficient as the rest, but I think that's down to the 2Gb of ram that's in the system at the moment :( If anyone can help, I'd be most grateful :) I think Pifast, Super Pi are my worst tests at the moment (I'm a little tired so I might be forgetting one or two tests...) Has anyone got any pointers??

Doug2507
Private
Private

Post #56 by Doug2507 » Wed Oct 14, 2015 6:25 am

Alright Phill,

SPi is a subject all of it's own. Best advice i can give you for now is to google it and you'll find a ton of info on it. Get read up then can help from there. :)

Bones
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Post #57 by Bones » Thu Oct 15, 2015 5:30 am

Super PI
Tip 1:
Always run it with XP, you'll get your best times with that.

Tip 2:
Run your RAM timings as high and tight as you can with that setup - Intels prefer RAM speed over tighter settings and in some cases do better with slightly looser settings, with an AMD you'll want things as high and tight as you can get it period.

Tip 3:
Don't forget to experiment with your subtimings, those can and do make all the difference. Be sure to take notes as you go so you don't miss anything.

Tip 4:
Grab a copy of Copy Waza and see if it works for you - I personally don't use it since it's never done anything for me and my results but others swear by it.
The guys here can help with getting you setup with it and how to use it.

nickolp1974
Officer Cadet
Officer Cadet

Post #58 by nickolp1974 » Thu Oct 15, 2015 8:03 am

There is a SPI 32m guide by Lummi in the MLG team section, with tweaks and how to set up your OS. For me Wazza has shaved 10-15 seconds off my time.

TheMadDutchDude
Corporal
Corporal

Post #59 by TheMadDutchDude » Thu Oct 15, 2015 9:32 am

As much as that, Nick? I really need to learn how to Wazzzaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa. :D

Doug2507
Private
Private

Post #60 by Doug2507 » Thu Oct 15, 2015 2:26 pm

Wazza works. Just need to spend a little time with it. iirc i spent the best part of a week sorting out my tweeks before running in ernest. :shock:

Phill
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Post #61 by Phill » Thu Oct 15, 2015 5:53 pm

Wow what a response!! Many thanks to everyone!!

I've been testing now for a few days with the DFI and the X2 3600+ CPU and I've been able to better my scores each and every time I've been running something :D I've been taking notes and seeing what works and what doesn't, I've been eagerly waiting to put some scores up as I have been able to take a few golds and I'm very pleased :D

I've a few new toys come as well, so I'd like to introduce them to you.....

I was told to buy the motherboard and the CPU but I came across the GPU and I wanted another!! Besides I saw an air cooled model go for nearly £30 more so I figured I had a bargain!! I just hope it works :D But I will hopefully be getting it tested this evening :) I will hopefully be putting XP on as well and getting a bit more benching done with my DFI and X2 3600+ as you guys have been so kind to help me. Time to try and deliver on it all now!!

I'll have a look at Wazza and see if I can get any promising results with it

All of this is certainly taking my mind off of problems, so I can't thank you guys enough for the help and support :D

Phill
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Post #62 by Phill » Thu Oct 15, 2015 11:35 pm

I have managed to get XP running but it seems that the performance is miles slower than Windows 7.. I've tried Pi, Pifast and wPrime tests and they are all slower than the Windows 7 runs I had done at the same speeds.

PC Mark 04 seems better but PC Mark 05 was dire... I'm just going to consider giving it a reinstall to make sure that it's not that but it looks like Windows 7 seems to be the keeper at the moment... I'm left feeling a bit disappointed :(

When I install XP again, do I need to install a fully loaded XP or would I be best to install a cut down version? I know it's only a AMD 939 CPU but would that make much difference to my scores?
I'll report back in the morning when I have managed to get XP reinstalled :) I think it might be the install that's the problem....

Phill
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Post #63 by Phill » Fri Oct 23, 2015 11:34 pm

Well I have managed to get a few scores put up for my CPU.. Wow what an interesting bench it was!! Still trying to figure out why PC Mark 04 and 05 where so troublesome in XP and Windows 7, but I managed to get there eventually... A few more scores that I can definitely improve on but I must say that the Pifast and Pi 1m and 32m tests where the hardest but I have managed to shave a lot of time off of what I previously scored.

One or two tests I think I could have done better on but whilst Isabelle is down, I will leave it until she goes back :) I hope I did ok with the water cooling, I think if I could have got it a bit colder it might have gone a bit better :)

Doug2507
Private
Private

Post #64 by Doug2507 » Thu Oct 29, 2015 7:28 am

Excellent Phill, keep pushing!

Stripped xp will definitely get your pi times down. Patience is a virtue in this hobby and time/testing definitely pay off. Leave no stone unturned! :)

String
Private
Private

Post #65 by String » Fri Oct 30, 2015 11:11 am

I've got my Athlon 64 x2 3800+ up and running. I've got Win XP going OK, but it seems to hang when I try to install Win 7 64 bit. Is this down to my 1gb system RAM?

String
Private
Private

Post #66 by String » Fri Oct 30, 2015 1:42 pm

Ok, got Win 7 going (and performing surprisingly well).

I'm testing with SuperPi. Why does the work get shared across the 2 cores? Shouldn't they both hit 100%?

Also, what mobo and chipset drivers should I bother hunting for, if any?

TIA

ObscureParadox
Corporal
Corporal

Post #67 by ObscureParadox » Fri Oct 30, 2015 4:44 pm

Super Pi is a single threaded benchmark which is why it shares the load.

@Phill with regards to your XP issues it has to be down to install, there is no reason at all that super pi and pi fast etc would be faster on win 7.

nickolp1974
Officer Cadet
Officer Cadet

Post #68 by nickolp1974 » Fri Oct 30, 2015 4:45 pm

Superpi is single threaded.
Things to try,
Run msconfig and tick diagnostic mode, apply and reboot
Start superpi but don't run
Open task manager find the superpi process change priority to high and set affinity to 1
Change all other process to 0
Now in doing this your giving 1 core solely to superpi

Ha ha OP you beat me to it! ;)

Bones
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Post #69 by Bones » Fri Oct 30, 2015 7:17 pm

nickolp1974 wrote:Superpi is single threaded.
Things to try,
Run msconfig and tick diagnostic mode, apply and reboot
Start superpi but don't run
Open task manager find the superpi process change priority to high and set affinity to 1
Change all other process to 0
Now in doing this your giving 1 core solely to superpi

Ha ha OP you beat me to it! ;)

Depending on the OS, I've seen that some processes are "Locked" from being altered either by it's affinity or priority.
You won't be able to change them all but don't let that stop you..... Just go for it!

String
Private
Private

Post #70 by String » Fri Oct 30, 2015 7:51 pm

Thanks guys. And I saw your comment on the Bot, OP... I'm working on that overclock!

String
Private
Private

Post #71 by String » Sat Oct 31, 2015 2:14 pm

RAM is holding me back again!

I'm using some Dane-Elec that came with the board. Does anyone have any suggestions on some good RAM for this chip and board?

TX-OC
Private
Private

Post #72 by TX-OC » Sat Oct 31, 2015 3:31 pm

String wrote:RAM is holding me back again!

I'm using some Dane-Elec that came with the board. Does anyone have any suggestions on some good RAM for this chip and board?

I feel sorry for you bud, the only thing dantec ram is good for is bashing it with 2V.

You're not the only one :p I have some dantec "PREMIUM" crap,with a bling bling aftermarket heatsink i put on, and it doesn't even go above 1600mhz no matter how many volts i send through it

Lenovo T430
1600x900 60hz (internal) + 1680x1050 120hz (external)
500gb 850 EVO
Core i5-3320M
HD 4000 + HD7970 MATRIX EGPU [GDC Beast]

Steering wheel: Logitech Driving Force GT

Phill
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Post #73 by Phill » Sun Nov 08, 2015 11:14 pm

Those AMD CPU's are damn hard to get good results with!! Some of the results I've been getting have been very hard work because of all the ram timings and such that goes with it.. It's taken hours to get a few good results with them and some of the issues I've been getting have been rather weird!!

I've two new platforms to be working on shortly, but I'm trying to get through all the other ones I have half started and want to try and get finished completely before I start trying other ones!!

String, it takes ages but you get there!! Well worth it if you have a good CPU too :D

ObscureParadox
Corporal
Corporal

Post #74 by ObscureParadox » Mon Nov 09, 2015 11:47 am

Phill wrote:Those AMD CPU's are damn hard to get good results with!! Some of the results I've been getting have been very hard work because of all the ram timings and such that goes with it.. It's taken hours to get a few good results with them and some of the issues I've been getting have been rather weird!!

I've two new platforms to be working on shortly, but I'm trying to get through all the other ones I have half started and want to try and get finished completely before I start trying other ones!!

String, it takes ages but you get there!! Well worth it if you have a good CPU too :D

Which AMD platform are you on about? If it's 939 it's a pretty simple one for water/air. 1.5v will get pretty much all CPUs maxed, know the limits of your ram, overclock as high as possible on that and that's about it. Oh also make sure HTT doesn't get too high, above 1.2GHz gives issues.

Phill
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Post #75 by Phill » Mon Nov 23, 2015 3:12 am

Well Lewis I'm not sure what I'm doing wrong with XP but I'm really struggling to get a decent score with it.. Windows 7 seems to definitely be scoring much better with wPrime, Pifast - Pi is a bit of a grey area.. XP will allow a higher overclock but 7 will still give more or less the same result..

PC Mark 04/05 seems to give better results in XP but with a single SSD and not so much with my 5405 + up to 4 SSD's that are attached too it. Granted they aren't the fastest or best of SSDs but still miles better than a Raptor I was using :)

Is there any download anyone uses for XP as I'm really hoping to try another XP install as I'm guessing it might be something mine has installed or not installed that is giving me these issues with XP. The raw Mhz is there but my efficiency seems way down and it's driving me bonkers!! I've a few more AMD 939 CPU's to bench but I have also started with AM3+ CPU's (cheap dual core ones for now, one had very good points for the price!) so I'm giving it a go, when I find a Asus Crosshair Formula board that is...) but I have also some new toys but I wanted to try and get through the older hardware first, before I started with newer stuff :)

Return to “Overclocking & Benchmarking”