[code][/code]

Getting into overclocking.... a bit more...

Discuss overclocking and share your benchmark results...
Bones
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Re: Getting into overclocking.... a bit more...

Post #76 by Bones » Thu Nov 26, 2015 4:11 am

Phill wrote:Well Lewis I'm not sure what I'm doing wrong with XP but I'm really struggling to get a decent score with it.. Windows 7 seems to definitely be scoring much better with wPrime, Pifast - Pi is a bit of a grey area.. XP will allow a higher overclock but 7 will still give more or less the same result..

PC Mark 04/05 seems to give better results in XP but with a single SSD and not so much with my 5405 + up to 4 SSD's that are attached too it. Granted they aren't the fastest or best of SSDs but still miles better than a Raptor I was using :)

Is there any download anyone uses for XP as I'm really hoping to try another XP install as I'm guessing it might be something mine has installed or not installed that is giving me these issues with XP. The raw Mhz is there but my efficiency seems way down and it's driving me bonkers!! I've a few more AMD 939 CPU's to bench but I have also started with AM3+ CPU's (cheap dual core ones for now, one had very good points for the price!) so I'm giving it a go, when I find a Asus Crosshair Formula board that is...) but I have also some new toys but I wanted to try and get through the older hardware first, before I started with newer stuff :)

Win 7 is better for WPrime than XP, for Super PI XP is the way to go.
Not sure about PI Fast but could be Win 7 and XP are close in this regard, haven't really tried it in Win 7 to compare.

If you can find a Sabertooth 2.0 those are really good AM3+ boards too, I've done all of my recent sub-zero benching with one. The BIOS within a Sabertooth is a more "User-friendly" BIOS since it's not as complicated as the CHV-Z's BIOS. In reality a Sabertooth can clock a chip up very close to what a CHV-Z can, the only real advantage the CHV-Z has is more tweakability with a more extended range of voltage adjustments in some categories. The CHV-Z has about every tweak you can think of built-in and the BIOS can be overwhelming to someone that's not really familiar with BIOS options as in what-does-what in a BIOS.

Since the Sabertooth's BIOS is simpler, unless you are very familiar with tweaking within the BIOS I'd suggest getting a Sabertooth.
They are also cheaper to get and can handle even a madly clocked 9590 since the guts are the same as a CHV-Z.

Phill
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Post #77 by Phill » Thu Nov 26, 2015 4:22 pm

I seem to see guys getting much better results in XP than Windows 7 with wPrime on the older AMD 939 CPU's, I can't seem to match them for speed unless it's just my ram is not up to par with theirs? I am struggling with that side of it, but I can seem to get a decent speed out of the CPU's I've tested so far..
I must admit, I have been largely testing in Windows 7 as getting raid 0 and my Adaptec card to work in XP is nothing more than a nightmare so I have just moved to XP for that's easier. That said, some tests the card isn't a help and with the added boot up time, it's a right pain...

I have seen quite a few of these on ebay of late, they are definitely a bit cheaper than the CHV-Z models, I'm just curious if they would be able to use both AM3 and AM3+ CPU's? I'm guessing so... ?? I'm all for learning but if something is simpler and it's easier to get to grips with, I suppose we can always progress to it later if needed :) I am after than 8Ghz achievement so it would definitely be nice to be able to try and get it :D

I only really overclock in the bios, sometimes I do use a memory tweaker in Windows but it's not that often I need to :) I'm enjoying it all very much at the moment, so the further I can go the better I feel I'm doing :)

What sort of sub zero testing have you been doing? Phase? Cascade? LN2? :)

Bones
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Post #78 by Bones » Fri Nov 27, 2015 1:26 am

Yes, the Sabertooth and CHV-Z both support AM3 CPUs BUT do know with both board models only the first revision ( Original CHV and Sabertooth 1.0) will unlock cores, the CHV-Z and Sabertooth 2.0 do not.
Had to throw that in so you woudn't be expecting that to happen with those models.

Word to the wise.... STAY AWAY from the Sabertooth 3.0, it's nothing but a huge headache waiting to happen if you get one. These were so bad Asus actualy ceased production and went back to making the 2.0 version.

I run DICE whenever I freeze it, haven't been able to do anything regarding LN2 (yet).

Phill
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Post #79 by Phill » Sun Nov 29, 2015 2:57 pm

I've been having a look at the Sabertooth boards and they seem to be going for not too bad a money, I've missed out on a few but there are still some for sell, which I'm keeping my eye on :) Sadly I can't seem to find a R1.0 version but I have found a Crosshair 4 Formula for around £60, would it be worth a buy? Would that unlock cores too?

I've just seen a Sabertooth and a FX9590 for sale, so I'm going to ask what the guy is after and see if we can strike a deal on it, I'm not after paying masses but I would like to think that I might be able to get the 8Ghz Submission if I can when I get around to the LN2 lol :D

I'm hopefully going to get a phase unit from my friend Dave (Blindfitter) It's a nice powerful rotary model, so I hope it'll do me just proud and hopefully beat a few more scores of mine :D

I think I caught a bug :D

Bones
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Post #80 by Bones » Thu Dec 10, 2015 3:29 am

You're doing quite well overall, ranked ahead of me so I can't knock ya. 8-)

Keep at it, you're doing just fine.

Phill
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Post #81 by Phill » Thu Dec 10, 2015 9:53 pm

Thanks bones :D It's be hard going at times and I'm still learning but I never seem to give up and always appear to hit my goals so I'll just keep going :D

Return to “Overclocking & Benchmarking”