[code][/code]

Project X-8 (times 8) Hackintosh. Feat White Lightning.

Discuss and share your customised PCs, modifications and other projects.
ALXAndy
Warrant Officer
Warrant Officer

Re: Project X-8 (times 8) Hackintosh. Feat White Lightning.

Post #101 by ALXAndy » Fri Oct 31, 2014 10:52 am

So here's what I did yesterday. The replacement ribbon came. Cost me about £3.

Note I removed the middle connector.Separate.

Test. Now at this point everything was working.

Here is the MOLEX output I wired the other day.

And tape up.

Then I braided it and guess what? mic doesn't work. Very, very strange :(

I don't care now though.

Oh yeah, third SSD came (replacement for a really scuffed up one) and...

Which kinda drove away the disappointment of the mic socket.

Today I hope to finish the duct up.

Alienware Area 51 2014.

ALXAndy
Warrant Officer
Warrant Officer

Post #102 by ALXAndy » Fri Oct 31, 2014 1:50 pm

And so I began to make the end cap for the duct. Note how the duct end is angled? well this means that the fan in the end is aimed right into the blower, feeding it with the cool air sucked in by the front 120mm fan.

It will need trimming and tidying once the glue has set but it fits very nicely.

More soon...
Alienware Area 51 2014.

ALXAndy
Warrant Officer
Warrant Officer

Post #103 by ALXAndy » Fri Oct 31, 2014 3:48 pm

Fan for the end.

SSDs.

Alienware Area 51 2014.

OverFienD
El Presidente
El Presidente

Post #104 by OverFienD » Fri Oct 31, 2014 4:43 pm

Andy i just wanted too give you a big clap :clap: :clap: :clap: for all the hard work you have put into this project well done.
Maybe in the future you could do a MLG modded rig ;)
i7-4790k//MSI Z97 MPOWER
8GB G-Skill DDR3-2666//R9 290 Windforce OC

CPU-i3 4130 @3.4//Asrock H81M-ITX
Case-Coolermaster 120
//PNY Geforce 460 GTX 1GB
http://steamcommunity.com/profiles/76561197971927155/

ALXAndy
Warrant Officer
Warrant Officer

Post #105 by ALXAndy » Fri Oct 31, 2014 4:54 pm

Maybe yeah. I think the next one I want to do is a trash can based OSX rig.

OK so the glue set which allowed me to clean the edges and fascia.

Please note, the entire thing is still covered in the protective film hence all the lines and dirt etc.

OK, so I masked it up and drew the line. I didn't want to do this before as it flexes etc I wanted it to be true.

I've now cut it off and pumped in a bead of glue from the back side to give it strength. I should be able to clean it all up tomorrow and possibly fit it.
Alienware Area 51 2014.

ALXAndy
Warrant Officer
Warrant Officer

Post #106 by ALXAndy » Fri Oct 31, 2014 10:11 pm

Decided to push on a bit. Obviously it's still not finished. I have graphics to make and a fan controller knob to fit, plus I am not happy with the skull placement so I will be moving him.

It's night time here now so pics are obviously a bit ropey, but I think it speaks for itself rather well.

Now whilst the blue LED on the Firewire card kinda annoys me as it's out of place it does tend to set off the glitter on the vinyl very well.

So how is this £4 fan doing its job? well let's say (and I truly mean this honestly) that the 290 used to idle at 52c.

13c drop. Not to be sniffed at that. Plus it does look kinda amazing, if I do say so myself.
Alienware Area 51 2014.

Ganji
Corporal
Corporal

Post #107 by Ganji » Fri Oct 31, 2014 11:19 pm

You've done a really nice job with all of the build mate, it looks like it cost a lot more than it did. Very nice work 8-)
Corsair AIR 540, ASUS Z87 Sabertooth, i7 4770k @ 4.5GHz, EK Predator 240
16Gb GSkill TridentX 2400 CL 10, 2 x EVGA 980 ti ACX SC+
Samsung 840 Evo 250Gb, Crucial BX100 250Gb, OCZ Agility 4 128Gb,
EVGA Spernova P2 1000w, Scythe Kaze MasterII
Asus VG248QE x3, Roccat Kave XTD
Corsair SP2500

Hivizman
Officer Cadet
Officer Cadet

Post #108 by Hivizman » Sat Nov 01, 2014 1:06 am

Looks very very sweet Andy. You really have got some skills at this modding thing. Wish I had the time to try a build like that.

Bravo mate.

Keep your nuts safe

There is a forgotten, nay almost forbidden word, which means more to me than any other. That word is England.
Sir Winston Churchill

ALXAndy
Warrant Officer
Warrant Officer

Post #109 by ALXAndy » Sat Nov 01, 2014 4:04 am

Thanks guys. It's pretty much done now. I did a couple of minor mods earlier because the skull was hitting the hot swap bay at the top and the blanker it's on would not sit straight so I just carved a section out of the bay, that now fits and needs to be fixed in tomorrow.

I can not use the side intake fan, though tbh the way things are all isolated now I don't need it, would simply be blowing air over sealed chambers. Very happy with my idle temps on the 290, seems I've set somewhat of a record for 39c, that's cooler at idle than my cooler Titan Black so very happy about the forced induction method there. Thankfully when it does wind up the sound is muted due to it being shrouded now too, a double bonus :D

I bolted the outer fan grill on and cut down the bolts, so the other side panel is now in place too. Just a couple of graphics to cut to complete it.

Tonight I tried to install OS X Yosemite on the RAID stripe. Sadly it refused to see it and it's not like Windows so you can't just hack a driver into place. So for now I over wrote my Windows install as I can do that with my eyes closed and that will go on the RAID stripe. Mac OS X boots in about three seconds any way (I lie ye not) so it wouldn't have made that much difference.

The PCI Sandblaster does not work in OS X but I knew that any way. I am leaving audio work for Windows and video work for the MAC, so I simply chucked the USB XFI back on and sound is all up and running.

It's literally just adding three boot commands to the boot loader permanently so I don't keep having to add them.

I will cut the graphics when the vinyl I ordered comes, once that's done I'll drag the bugger off to the kitchen during daylight and get some proper pics.

Then, for possibly only the second time in my life I can declare a build finished and move onto Zombie Mods 004, as yet unknown :D

Thanks again for your comments. It so beats the armchair critics on other forums (he says, moving his eyebrows up and down).

Peace and love, and out for now !

hahaha lmfao ! Sandblaster. Good old auto correct, but I'll leave that be because it's pretty funny.
Alienware Area 51 2014.

ALXAndy
Warrant Officer
Warrant Officer

Post #110 by ALXAndy » Mon Nov 03, 2014 4:47 pm

Finished...

Software is all done via a UEFI boot loader. Now have Win 8.1 and OSX Yosemite all set up (posting from OSX as we speak :D )
Alienware Area 51 2014.

1Day
Sergent
Sergent

Post #111 by 1Day » Mon Nov 03, 2014 4:57 pm

That is a thing of beauty Andy thank you for sharing the journey with all of us.
Music is the pleasure the human mind experiences from counting without being aware that it is counting.
Gottfried Leibniz

SuffolkBoy
El Presidente
El Presidente

Post #112 by SuffolkBoy » Tue Nov 04, 2014 1:27 pm

Top work fella! Loved following this build and the outcome is simply stunning...
Looking forward to your next project :D
i7 2600k@4.5||Maximus V Formula||MSI Gaming 390X||16Gb TeamgroupExtreme 2600||Corsair H105||Phanteks Enthoo Pro M

ALXAndy
Warrant Officer
Warrant Officer

Post #113 by ALXAndy » Tue Nov 04, 2014 2:50 pm

Right well I think I'm decided.

Next up - I love DFI. Featuring the 480 Lightning and my Corsair 250D and the most bright colours ever :D

Orange will be the main colour :D
Alienware Area 51 2014.

twisted1
Corporal
Corporal

Post #114 by twisted1 » Wed Nov 05, 2014 3:58 pm

Great looking build, I like how you make most of the stuff yourself. Anyone can buy a bunch of fancy HW and watercooling but this takes skill and ingenuity.

I think that's the fun part, coming up with your own solutions and mods.

ALXAndy
Warrant Officer
Warrant Officer

Post #115 by ALXAndy » Thu Dec 11, 2014 2:14 pm

Right so I finally had enough of the 290 not working properly in OSX. So, I swapped it (nightmare) with some dude for a 770.

So there's been a change of plan. Basically my Purple Monster is going to be powering a 4k screen so I want as much grunt as possible. As thus I have decided to fit the 770 to the BPM to take care of physx. It can also drive the 1080p monitor, leaving the Titans to the 4k one.

So what about X8? well, for ages and ages now I have been wanting to put a professional workstation card in. Enter the Quadro FX 4800 1.5gb.

So how does it fare in real world terms? well, basically it's about as powerful as a GTX 285, only with double the vram. However, what's far more important is that not only is it a Quadro (meaning amazing drivers..) but it's also fully supported by OSX and has been for years. This should mean that I get excellent performance in Photoshop, Silouette studio, Final Cut and so on.

It was quite expensive at £85 but tbh? more than worth it. It turns the MAC into the fully pro grade workstation I wanted it to be from the beginning.
Alienware Area 51 2014.

ALXAndy
Warrant Officer
Warrant Officer

Post #116 by ALXAndy » Sat Jan 31, 2015 3:56 pm

Update. I ran out of hard drive space in the original build so I decided to buy a new case. Obviously the main reason I built X8 was to be a desktop that -

1. Used as little power as possible.
2. Was to be as quiet as possible.

Obviously it met the criteria for 1 pretty well but a couple of cut corners on 2 made it noisy at times. The cooler has a 60mm fan that could induce a tornado, so it had to go. So after much deliberation and wanting something as cool and quiet as possible I chose the Silverstone Raven RV05. I did this because it has two main fans (180mm Penetrators) and they can be set to very low speeds for absolute hush.

Then it was time to sort out my main gripe, the cooler.

I got it for £29 refurb from Scan on Ebay. Shipping was £4 but I ordered some other stuff I needed too. For the fans I decided to splash out on these.

I also had a 1tb 3.5" drive that has some bad sectors, but this was easily sorted using Apple First Aid in OSX. So here's how it went.

The tear down..

Fit the cooler and fans (I'm running it in push pull because the fans are a mere 800RPM)

Fit.

And build. It took me two days in all, cable management is incredibly difficult in this case and this was amplified by the fact the PSU is non modular and 90% braided.

To come.. I've ordered and received four white LED strips and I have plenty of white glitter vinyl left over. I will probably use my plotter to cut graphics, text and accents in white.

I have a very busy month coming up, so I won't be doing much for a while :)
Alienware Area 51 2014.

Frenzic
Warrant Officer
Warrant Officer

Post #117 by Frenzic » Sun Feb 01, 2015 10:36 pm

That's an awesome tidy little machine there mate :)
i7-4930K @ 4.4GHz|ASUS RIVF|Gigabyte GTX 780 Ti WF OC SLI|
16GB HyperX Beast 2400MHz|Corsair H80i|Corsair RM1000|
OCZ-Vertex450 256GB SSD|Corsair Carbide 500R|BenQ XL2720T

ALXAndy
Warrant Officer
Warrant Officer

Post #118 by ALXAndy » Mon Feb 02, 2015 12:31 am

Thanks. Yeah, it's a very tidy little case. Sadly my monitor only has one input now so I'm struggling to think of what to do....

Selling it would break my heart tbh.
Alienware Area 51 2014.

ALXAndy
Warrant Officer
Warrant Officer

Post #119 by ALXAndy » Wed Mar 18, 2015 4:47 pm

Right, update..

So I bought two Corsair H55s for my Titans but sadly the hoses were not long enough. So what to do.. Well....

And then..

That's the 480 Lightning, btw..

Not even 3mm spare :o

And my CPU H55. What's nice is the card divides up the inside for perfect airflow :)

And man, does it show..

60w CPU 28c. GTX 480 Lightning 27c.

lmao :lol:
Alienware Area 51 2014.

Return to “Customising, Modding & Project builds”