[code][/code]

The big purple monster !

Discuss and share your customised PCs, modifications and other projects.
ALXAndy
Warrant Officer
Warrant Officer

Re: The big purple monster !

Post #51 by ALXAndy » Wed Aug 13, 2014 5:52 pm

OK that's the phone panel completed. First I did all the measuring.

Then I had an idea.. If I photocopy the phone it will make everything easier..

Ahh yes, that's a good idea alright.

Then add adhesive tape to the back...

And stick the bugger on.

OK so I need three holes so I can use my touch pen to use the phone fully. First I took a hole gauge and found the correct bit.

And drilled it out.

And a short while later with the Dremel.

Cover and fit.

Jackpot.

Alienware Area 51 2014.

OverFienD
El Presidente
El Presidente

Post #52 by OverFienD » Thu Aug 14, 2014 9:37 pm

Fantastic work :thumbup: :thumbup:
i7-4790k//MSI Z97 MPOWER
8GB G-Skill DDR3-2666//R9 290 Windforce OC

CPU-i3 4130 @3.4//Asrock H81M-ITX
Case-Coolermaster 120
//PNY Geforce 460 GTX 1GB
http://steamcommunity.com/profiles/76561197971927155/

ALXAndy
Warrant Officer
Warrant Officer

Post #53 by ALXAndy » Fri Aug 15, 2014 10:41 am

Thank you :)

Last night when I got home (long day, closest to London I've been in 15 years) my MNPC grill had arrived. I finished the front panel, and, wrapped one of the internal plates with purple Dinoc.

Will get some pics of that later, then I can think about mounting the phone in and setting up Precision X.
Alienware Area 51 2014.

ALXAndy
Warrant Officer
Warrant Officer

Post #54 by ALXAndy » Fri Aug 15, 2014 3:55 pm

OK guys here's what I got up to last night. The front..

And the GPU fan panel, now wrapped.

And with the fan on. Sadly this Iphone sees the LEDs as mainly blue and I can't find my camera. Will look later.

Alienware Area 51 2014.

ALXAndy
Warrant Officer
Warrant Officer

Post #55 by ALXAndy » Sun Aug 17, 2014 2:53 pm

OK so the Sesame Street word of today begins with F. It ends in K. It has UC in the middle. It rhymes with 'muck'.

Game over man, game over. Basically I had to remove it to finish fit it. Sadly I was clumsy yesterday and I had fitted it too well just for a mock. As I peeled it away I heard a crack, that was it, digitizer gone :(

Any way, I pressed on a little bit down and now I have finished the GPU fan box. First up I wanted to make some graphics, so I found this pic.

It carries on the theme from the front. Any way, after about 40 minutes here's what I gots.

TBH? that made me less sad about the phone idea. That area is now finished, and I really like how it came out. Here is a shot of the rig, I also found my camera so I was happy about that too :)

Next up, two custom GPU back plates :)
Alienware Area 51 2014.

ALXAndy
Warrant Officer
Warrant Officer

Post #56 by ALXAndy » Mon Aug 18, 2014 5:28 pm

Backplate time. Mark.

Cut.

Sand.

Peel.

Dinoc.

Cover.

Graphics.

One.

Two..

And fit.

Total cost about £9 the pair.
Alienware Area 51 2014.

SuffolkBoy
El Presidente
El Presidente

Post #57 by SuffolkBoy » Mon Aug 18, 2014 7:47 pm

They look the nuts ;) ... could be a sideline making those id def be your 1st customer..
i7 2600k@4.5||Maximus V Formula||MSI Gaming 390X||16Gb TeamgroupExtreme 2600||Corsair H105||Phanteks Enthoo Pro M

ALXAndy
Warrant Officer
Warrant Officer

Post #58 by ALXAndy » Mon Aug 18, 2014 11:17 pm

I was going to buy some but at £30 a pop **** that.

They're really easy to make tbh. Just pop out a GPU, draw around what you can then just draw in the lines with a ruler, cut and cover. Sheet of A3 3mm is £5.80 or so delivered and the dinoc about the same.

The hard part are the graphics. They're all hand cut and I'm still learning. Mega happy with the skulls though, deffo gonna continue the theme. I've cheated so far nicking clip art but for the last one I'm going to draw one myself with roses coming out of the eye sockets.

PSU cover next. I could swear I did a guide on wrapping (Youtube) I'll have a dig through my account later :)
Alienware Area 51 2014.

ALXAndy
Warrant Officer
Warrant Officer

Post #59 by ALXAndy » Tue Aug 19, 2014 10:56 pm

Crikey. So my lady saw what I was up to and asked if I would do a skull for her with a rose in its mouth.

Went into Photoshop and spent an hour or so drawing. I wanted a skull with a beret, she wanted it to have a rose.

First I cut the acrylic..

Note I've began the IO cover too. Any way, the graphic took me nearly two hours to cut. Never again !

It was kinda worth it though. And with the panel fitted.

Alienware Area 51 2014.

ALXAndy
Warrant Officer
Warrant Officer

Post #60 by ALXAndy » Wed Aug 20, 2014 3:35 pm

OK so time for the IO cover.

First up I made the cover.

Then design the graphics for it.

Then create it.

Mask.

And then fit.

Alienware Area 51 2014.

OverFienD
El Presidente
El Presidente

Post #61 by OverFienD » Wed Aug 20, 2014 6:41 pm

Quietly Andy :thumbup:
Any chance of you doing a youtube video showing it running in real time.
i7-4790k//MSI Z97 MPOWER
8GB G-Skill DDR3-2666//R9 290 Windforce OC

CPU-i3 4130 @3.4//Asrock H81M-ITX
Case-Coolermaster 120
//PNY Geforce 460 GTX 1GB
http://steamcommunity.com/profiles/76561197971927155/

ALXAndy
Warrant Officer
Warrant Officer

Post #62 by ALXAndy » Thu Aug 21, 2014 12:13 am

Yeah no worries. Need to tidy up first haha.
Alienware Area 51 2014.

FullMetalTony
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Post #63 by FullMetalTony » Thu Aug 21, 2014 1:15 pm

That's a beautiful rig, nice work :)
i5 3570K; Asus P8Z77-V LX; 16GB 1600Mhz DDR3 (4x4GB); Sapphire reference R9 290; Antec 302 case; XFX Pro 550W PSU; 60GB SSD (OS) + 128GB SSD + 2TB Seagate Barracuda; Razer Naga Molten; Crappy stock Dell keyboard; BenQ GL2450; Sharkoon X-static digital surround 7.1 headphones

ALXAndy
Warrant Officer
Warrant Officer

Post #64 by ALXAndy » Thu Aug 21, 2014 1:23 pm

Thanks Tony. You know, I really can't wait until all of the cover panels are in now.

Right now it's a total bloody git to clean. When the panels are all on I simply damp down a cloth with windex and wipe. The dinoc is great for that, nothing gets trapped in it.

All I seem to be doing right now is bloody cleaning it. The other rig that's finished? ten second wipe and it looks good as new.

Am doing housework today. Once that's done I'll try and get a vid of the rig. Need to learn video editing adding music and subs etc.. Any one got any ideas?

Ed. Oh yeah. Gonna crack out my donut cutter later and try and make the pump cover :)

Ed 2. Forgot to mention. When I first fitted the IO cover it was snagged on a wire so wasn't lying properly. Now it is, now you can see it properly :)

Alienware Area 51 2014.

ALXAndy
Warrant Officer
Warrant Officer

Post #65 by ALXAndy » Thu Aug 21, 2014 5:38 pm

OK so money gone for the moment. I did order another sheet of acrylic though, this one is important. I also started work on the 5.25 area, stripping off the CM locks. I've also snapped off any metal remnants so I can make a cover panel.

Any way, today was a day of tweaking. I've already settled on an overclock of 4.7ghz, which apparently is very rare for SBE on standard cooling. So that I was very happy with.

Only thing was, when I overclocked my Titan Blacks using Precision X they just bombed. Not sure if it's an issue my end, or, if the cards had a borked bios on. Any way, I did some research and...

So now they are EVGA Titan Black Signature editions lmao. They're completely bench stable, too !

OK so here's what I got up to today. First up I took apart the EVGA SLI bridge. I was faced with a 2mm plate of clear acrylic, so I just hit it a few times with the Sharpie, letting it dry between coats.

Simple, but very effective :)

And, a shot of the rig.

I am quickly growing very bored of the stock hard drive part. Expect that to come apart soon..
Alienware Area 51 2014.

ALXAndy
Warrant Officer
Warrant Officer

Post #66 by ALXAndy » Thu Aug 21, 2014 7:24 pm

OK time to take care of the HDD box. I don't like it stock, so decided to mod it. First up I removed it.

Then cut out the middle parts and then carved the edges

Wrap.

Better.

And then....

Alienware Area 51 2014.

FullMetalTony
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Post #67 by FullMetalTony » Fri Aug 22, 2014 9:36 am

That looks loads better, Coolermaster should sack their designer and hire you instead lol
i5 3570K; Asus P8Z77-V LX; 16GB 1600Mhz DDR3 (4x4GB); Sapphire reference R9 290; Antec 302 case; XFX Pro 550W PSU; 60GB SSD (OS) + 128GB SSD + 2TB Seagate Barracuda; Razer Naga Molten; Crappy stock Dell keyboard; BenQ GL2450; Sharkoon X-static digital surround 7.1 headphones

ALXAndy
Warrant Officer
Warrant Officer

Post #68 by ALXAndy » Fri Aug 22, 2014 2:24 pm

The stock design is pretty awful. It's just like flat cheap ass plastic. At least Fractal put a grain in their cheap plastic to make it look better.

Not sure if I'm going to leave them open like that (intact knuckles will tell lmao) or if I'm going to do something to cover it but it looks much better now :)

That little fan I have over the fets is bloody dangerous lol. I've got two knuckles missing skin for being impatient and trying to fit the IO cover whilst the rig was powered on lmao :mrgreen:

I'm probably going to put dinoc on that. I did some blades before and I tell you man it looks soooo awesome. It's hard though.

Today I'm going to try and find a piece of scrap acrylic and make the pump cover. Cutting it is easy, I have two different hole cutters. I'll have to crack out the body filler though as both leave a hole in the center.
Alienware Area 51 2014.

ALXAndy
Warrant Officer
Warrant Officer

Post #69 by ALXAndy » Fri Aug 22, 2014 5:18 pm

VRM fan mod.

Alienware Area 51 2014.

ALXAndy
Warrant Officer
Warrant Officer

Post #70 by ALXAndy » Sat Aug 23, 2014 6:37 pm

So to my (pleasant) surprise the postman came with another sheet of acrylic for me :) It came pretty quick this time.. So this time around I figured I'd do the graphics first.

And assembling.

And then mask.

Then off to work...

Drill a hole and set the donut cutter.

And cut.

And then cut the cover panel I need.

Once that was done I covered the panel.

Applied the graphic.

And that's now done.

And fitted.

OK, so then it was time to cover the pump cover. Light had gone in now mind..

And design and print my graphic for it.

Self explanatory.

And about ten minutes later.

And fit.

Next up. Custom floor cover and SSD display. Don't have the acrylic or vinyl yet, so that will be coming next week :)
Alienware Area 51 2014.

ALXAndy
Warrant Officer
Warrant Officer

Post #71 by ALXAndy » Sat Aug 23, 2014 6:38 pm

Apols DP...
Alienware Area 51 2014.

ALXAndy
Warrant Officer
Warrant Officer

Post #72 by ALXAndy » Thu Dec 18, 2014 11:15 pm

So yay and all that stuff, I did some more work to BPM. First I removed the fingers from the SLI bridge which was actually very easy and did not require the heat gun. I just pulled off the plugs with pliers then snipped them all clean. Then I gave the rig a good clean/vacuum before putting in the new lights and putting it all back together.

And then finally.

Alienware Area 51 2014.

ALXAndy
Warrant Officer
Warrant Officer

Post #73 by ALXAndy » Mon Feb 02, 2015 6:21 pm

Right, a quick update here.

So I'm now the very proud owner of an Acer 28" 4k monitor. It's absolutely superb !

I've been playing Dying Light for a few hours each day and I must say, the GPU noise is pissing me off. I know Titans are supposed to be quiet but I've got an obsession about heat on GPUs. The ROHS solder used now is brittle and the flux is crap. This is why you see so many cards needing to be re-balled.

So. What to do? well, I could go custom water but that would cost me a small fortune and tbh? I don't overclock. I just want the noise to fork right off. So, with a lot of thought I have ordered two refrub Corsair H55 units from Scan for £64. I used to have a Kuhler 620 on my old GTX 480 and I managed 960mhz 63c in Furmark. It was epic !

So two of these.

Now then, the big part. How the chuff do I mount two 120mm AIOs into my case? Well, I created a bolt in plate near the bottom and fitted a 120mm fan to that to bring air in for the GPUs. So, after an awful lot of thinking already I have ordered this.

OK. The plan is to mount one H55 in the top and one in the bottom. One of them will be mounted in there upside down so the pipes both come out of the middle, where the middle of a 360mm rad would be. They will be bolted in behind it with the fans on the outside in pull. Once the fans are mounted I bought this -

Which will be the outside of the sandwich bringing it all together. I will cut out one or two of the bars so that the AIO block fits through. This way it should all look pretty stock. I will need to cut the stand about a a little, but thankfully I have got plenty of satin black spray paint..

The only remaining part of the puzzle now is two GPU brackets. I know the Kraken is widely available but I must say I am not a fan. I'm hoping, fingers crossed, that by the time I come to fit all of it Corsair have pulled their finger out and launched their Nvidia version of their wonderful 290 AIO bracket (more info here)

http://www.bit-tech.net/hardware/coolin ... 0-review/1

OK so I know the purists will be spitting on the floor here, but these AIOs are superb on GPUs. Total cost will be less than £150 all fitted and running. A custom loop would have cost me £100 or more just for the water blocks...
Alienware Area 51 2014.

SuffolkBoy
El Presidente
El Presidente

Post #74 by SuffolkBoy » Mon Feb 02, 2015 10:04 pm

Blinding idea andy! Can't wait to see these on the cards.. What about cooling the vrm and memory ?
i7 2600k@4.5||Maximus V Formula||MSI Gaming 390X||16Gb TeamgroupExtreme 2600||Corsair H105||Phanteks Enthoo Pro M

ALXAndy
Warrant Officer
Warrant Officer

Post #75 by ALXAndy » Mon Feb 02, 2015 10:50 pm

Well the kraken comes with a 92mm fan so that blows over the memory and VRMs. I'm really hoping Corsair bring theirs out before I do it.

Have a look at Corsair's adapter for the 290 it's really rather lovely so I'm hoping the Nvidia one comes out soon :)
Alienware Area 51 2014.

Return to “Customising, Modding & Project builds”