[code][/code]

Gigabyte X38 DQ6 wont post

The place to discuss all topics relating to Motherboards and RAM.
Jumper118

Gigabyte X38 DQ6 wont post

Post #1 by Jumper118 » Tue Jul 21, 2015 8:44 pm

I was using this board maybe 2 wweks ago, i put it in an antistaic bag and a box and then when i've come to use it again just now it wont post. it just turns the cpu a fan a bit then stops then does this in an infinite loop :(

Hivizman
Officer Cadet
Officer Cadet

Re: Gigabyte X38 DQ6 wont post

Post #2 by Hivizman » Tue Jul 21, 2015 9:55 pm

Check the 12v CPU connector, make sure that all the metal pins in the plastic connector are secure.

Reseat the CPU.

Swap out with another CPU.

Pray.

Keep your nuts safe

There is a forgotten, nay almost forbidden word, which means more to me than any other. That word is England.
Sir Winston Churchill

Jumper118

Post #3 by Jumper118 » Tue Jul 21, 2015 10:13 pm

changed to a E4600. nothing. tried 1 stick of corsair in the first and second slot nothing. G.skill in the first and second slot. nothing. checked all the pins in the cpu 8 pin and 24 connectors and they look ok. i presume its dead now then :( at least it looks nice.

ScunnyUK
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Post #4 by ScunnyUK » Wed Jul 22, 2015 8:04 pm

Possibly could be a crushed bios, Im guessing you've reset cmos , you could try removing battery and shorting the terminals (with power off / lead unplugged) for a number of hours but doubtful it will work..

The board has Dual Bios (with quad bios feature: http://www.gigabyte.com/MicroSite/117/h ... rk_dq6.htm) have you swapped to the other bios chip?

Jumper118

Post #5 by Jumper118 » Sun Jul 26, 2015 12:46 am

ScunnyUK wrote:Possibly could be a crushed bios, Im guessing you've reset cmos , you could try removing battery and shorting the terminals (with power off / lead unplugged) for a number of hours but doubtful it will work..

The board has Dual Bios (with quad bios feature: http://www.gigabyte.com/MicroSite/117/h ... rk_dq6.htm) have you swapped to the other bios chip?

i tried taking the battery out and resetting the cmos. it says it should switch bios chip automatically if the main bios is dead. i presumes this means both the main and the back are corrupt as it does post at all.

ScunnyUK
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Post #6 by ScunnyUK » Sun Jul 26, 2015 1:40 pm

The only way to know for sure would be to either remove and re-solder new bios chips or if your really clever, enjoy building electrical stuff and the board has a spi port on it you could have a go at building a spi flasher then try to follow this guide to flash the dead board from another pc.

I hope its ok posting those links, all credit goes to the original threads authors for their amazing work ;)

Jumper118

Post #7 by Jumper118 » Tue Jul 28, 2015 7:56 pm

ScunnyUK wrote:The only way to know for sure would be to either remove and re-solder new bios chips or if your really clever, enjoy building electrical stuff and the board has a spi port on it you could have a go at building a spi flasher then try to follow this guide to flash the dead board from another pc.

I hope its ok posting those links, all credit goes to the original threads authors for their amazing work ;)

wow. i think i might try a new bios chip, but i dont think my electronics skills are good enough the flashing thing :P my electrical skills are more accustom to 10 gauge or lower on very big speakers :P

TheMadDutchDude
Corporal
Corporal

Post #8 by TheMadDutchDude » Tue Jul 28, 2015 9:44 pm

The only downside is that you need to de-solder and resolder the BIOS chip(s) from that board. :(

Good luck to you, Lawrence. I know I'd balls it up! :D

Jumper118

Post #9 by Jumper118 » Fri Jul 31, 2015 11:52 pm

TheMadDutchDude wrote:The only downside is that you need to de-solder and resolder the BIOS chip(s) from that board. :(

Good luck to you, Lawrence. I know I'd balls it up! :D

well as far as i know its dead anyway, so it can't get any worse right? :lol:

Return to “Motherboards & RAM”